Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dear Denise Scott (aussie comedian)

(Warning - offensive language used)



Dear Denise Scott,

I watched a clip of you at the esteemed Comedy Gala for 2011, a place you rightfully should be as I think you are a great comedienne, sadly, your skit infuriated me and I know I am not alone.
You will probably never read this. You probably don’t care. I know that anything that happens in this world or in society is free reign for a comedian. I love a good laugh and enjoy the humour of many comedians. I’ve enjoyed laughing at crass humour as much as clean. I love it when a comedian points at others and makes us laugh at them, I admit that freely. I find it hilarious when I know exactly what they are joking about.
I also know that comedians can hide behind their humour as if it is an excuse that they can say anything they want, no matter what offence has been caused.
I also know that comedians are humans like me, prone to make mistakes, and jam their foot down their throat. Occupational Hazzard I guess.
Your segment was offensive in the first 2 minutes. The instant you joined the words “I hate...mild asbergers(sic)....and fucked up people with behavioural problems” was the instant you offended parents of  1 in 4 children that are on the Autism Spectrum. A “fucked up problem” that effects more kids than cancer, more kids than almost any other syndrome or disorder, more kids than you know! The instant you uttered those "hate" filled words, you offended adults who have moderate or mild autism who have suffered at the hands and mouths of bullies their entire life, for reasons they can’t explain, nor understand. You offended families, workers who spend tireless hours helping them and even parents of kids with other disabilities.
What I find funny is that my kid would not have any clue what you find funny about him that you would label him as “fucked up”. I'm glad you stopped short of saying "retard".
You know what I find funny? It's that he lives in his own world and has no ability to understand social situations as they make him uncomfortable, which would mean he would likely never be in your company. And even if he was, I wouldn’t apologise if he made you uncomfortable or was badly behaved in your eyes.  
You have every right to say what you want and talk about in a humorous way what pisses you off, but using autism as the butt of your joke about how much you “hate” people and how they are only “fucked up” (implying that everyone else is not),was wrong. Just because you cant see it Denise, does not mean it’s not real.
You can’t see love, but I bet you know that’s real!
My kid and any autistic kid are not badly behaved and they are not fucked up. Autistic and aspergers kids and adults are....not like comedians at all.
I know you didn't mean it. I know you could have chosen a better line.
I know your not mean or mean spirited.
I know you are a mum.
But...
I challenge you to spend some real time with a family that has an ASD kid.
I also challenge you to find the funny side of autism and do a benefit concert for Autism Victoria to help raise funds for kids and families dealing with autism.
I also ask that you remove the line from your next sketch.

6 comments:

  1. Well said Jason, hope she reads it. There has apparently been an apology but am yet to find it.

    An Aspergers mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have seen the apology on her FB page. It feels a tad generic. I get where she is coming from. Perhaps we are being to sensitive. I just dont like hearing that there is an assumption the people use Aspergers as an excuse. Her words were clear.
    I have sent her a link to my blog. Hoping she reads it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said, yes it is offensive - does she realise how much - I think it is just lack of knowledge and understanding and a real shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that and I too thought it was highly offensive and totally not necessary,
    thanks for speaking out on behalf of so many wonderful children/adults and especially for those who can't speak for themselves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent blog. What I found offensive though and I honestly don't understand why people can't see this point of view, is that as a parent of a child who is moderate to high functioning I hear ALL THE TIME, Oh he isn't autistic it's just XYZ... insert excuse. Um no, my son has an ASD it's not an excuse and it impacts on his life significantly. I don't know anyone who pretends to be on the spectrum for a laugh at all.

    ReplyDelete